Skip to main content

Logo for N.C. Cooperative Extension N.C. Cooperative Extension Homepage

Rent & Utilities Assistance

Rent, Mortgage & Utility Assistance

Durham County is providing financial assistance to support tenants who are unable to pay their rent or mortgage due to a loss of income due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Call 919-560-8000 to make an appointment.

The Housing Opportunities and Prevention of Evictions (HOPE) Program is a new statewide initiative that may provide rent and utility assistance to eligible low- and moderate-income renters experiencing financial hardship due to the economic effects of COVID-19. The new program will help prevent evictions and utility disconnections in order to promote housing stability during the ongoing pandemic.

Eviction Support

Individuals seeking assistance from the CARES Act Eviction Information Line should send a text message with their full address, and property name if known, to the hotline: 919-590-9165. Tenants will then receive an information packet via both text message and U.S. Mail based on the research results for their property.

If you are concerned about being evicted, click here to learn how the temporary eviction moratorium may be able to help you.

The Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)

Durham residents in need of heating bill assistance can now apply for help through the Department of Social Services. Applications are being accepted Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. in Lobby #27 of the Health and Human Services Building located at 414 E. Main St. Walk ins are welcome but appointments are preferred. Please call 919-560-8000 for additional information and assistance.

Legal Support

Legal Aid NC has many legal resource documents on your rights during COVID-19. These include items on education, exceptional children’s services, housing, employment, and social security.

Water Bill Support

The City Water Hardship Fund is part of a program administered by the Durham County Department of Social Services to help residents pay their past-due water bills. It cannot be used for penalties and fees.

Through a simple online process, you can apply for up to $240 in assistance per year if you are having a documented hardship, have past-due bills, and are in danger of having your water cut off. If you think you might qualify, please complete the Water Hardship Fund application form. If contacted, you may be asked to provide identification, proof of income, a copy of your water bill, and other information.

Page updated July 16, 2020