Durham 4-H Spring Updates
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
We have several updates to share on new virtual and in-person opportunities as we move into the spring. These include updates to 4-H online, new virtual programming, an in-person chicken show, project record book deadlines, and upcoming summer fun. Please continue reading below for more information.
Another reminder that 4-H Online 2.0 is live! In order to register, please follow this link with directions. Our county website will soon be updated with these same links soon. If you have previously signed up for 4-H Online, we will need to re-enroll you. 4-H Online enrollment is mandatory for regular club members as well as summer camp participants. Besides updated cosmetic improvements, benefits of v2.0 include:
- Streamlined enrollment and re-enrollment process
- Enhanced capabilities for families & individuals, such as tracking volunteers hours, trainings, awards, etc.
- An internal “Event Registration” system for youth & volunteers
- Suggestions for upcoming events
- An internal “Training” system for youth and volunteers
- Enhanced online 4-H Club Leader applications
- Mobile-friendly capabilities
- ADA compliance
For those of you who’ve been enjoying volunteer and youth activities offered virtually, we have several virtual programs from our summer camps. Some of these programs are great opportunities for youth, but many would also make great experiences for educators and parents. Look at some of our offerings below:
- Virtual Farm to Fork: The Farm to Fork Camp Local Foods Work Group is hosting a statewide 4-H Virtual Farm to Fork Camp for 4-H youth grades 3-12 on March 6, 13, and 20, 2021, from 10 a.m.–noon. North Carolina 4-H members (80 spaces) and volunteers (20 spaces) can register for this free workshop in the new 4-H Online 2.0 by signing into their 4-H Online account and looking under Events.
- PEAK series through 4-H Online 2.0. : To register for any (or all) of the 15 awesome programs simply log into your 4-H Online2.0 family profile and click on the event. *If you have not completed your 2021 enrollment, you’ll need to that in order to see the 4-H PEAK event at the bottom of your profile. The series includes The 4-H Pet Parade, Dr. Seuss Day, Theatre Magic – Kahoot! Challenge, Hip, Hop 4-H Style Line Dancing, Showing Animals 101, and LOTS more! Don’t miss out on the fun – register today.
- Volunteer Trainings: We are excited to share about some upcoming 4-H volunteer training opportunities. All training is offered to all registered NC 4-H volunteers. These are offered free of charge and will be delivered over Zoom. Trainings include: 4-H Ambassador Program Training, 4-H Photography Contents, Learn about 4-H Camps, and “Growing Resilient 4-H’ers.” We hope you will join us!
- Nature Adventures Series – Nature Adventures is a 6-part series of 45-minute educational sessions for the spring semester developed and taught by professional Environmental Educators from North Carolina’s premier 4-H Camps. This program is provided for FREE for teachers and families. Check out the session schedule below. All programs are aligned with the North Carolina Standard Course of Study and are presented live over Zoom. Can’t make the live event? Register for the recording and go at your own pace! Register an entire class or individual students.
We’re very excited to be joining several other counties for a joint chicken show, The 4-H Feather Classic, in Fall of 2021. Information sessions and chick pickups will be soon, so be sure to register through our Eventbrite. We are hoping to get five youth registered for Durham county, and participants can earn prizes. Participants will raise several chickens over the course of several months prior to participating in the showing. Learn more and register
Finally, I wanted to give one more reminder of upcoming submission of Project Record Books to the state. State submission was extended to March 12, but I will need all submissions by March 10 as only a limited number of record books may be submitted to the state level. Please email me directly if you wish to submit a project record book. If you’ve participated in any of our virtual programming since the summer, you should be able to complete a book – these projects can be completed in a single weekend with proper support. All participants will receive credit which can go towards reducing the cost of 4-H summer programs or future retreats.
We’ll soon have further announcements about upcoming summer fun programs. We hope to offer a camp-in-the-box activity set for Cloverbud youth (Ages 5-8) covering a variety of Earth Science and other STEM topics. We’ll also be offering several virtual camps in Babysitting/CPR Certification, Entrepreneurship, and Computer Programming, and Game Design. In addition, we hope to provide several opportunities to participate with in-person programming including day camps in Sewing, Cooking, and Outdoor education capped at six participants each to ensure safety from COVID-19. We’ll likewise be providing six reservations for sleep-away camp at Betsy Jeff Penn 4-H Camp. In addition, there will be other district and state-wide 4-H opportunities this summer including virtual programming, District Activity Day, and 4-H Congress. Details on exact dates, prices, and registration will be shared soon!
Best of wishes, and may you and your family continue to stay safe and healthy,
N.C. Cooperative Extension of Durham County